Free German language courses for qualified refugees
You have been a refugee from your home country and you are considering to study at the University of Göttingen?
The Institute for Intercultural Communication e. V. (IIK), in cooperation with Göttingen International, offers refugees recognised in Germany the opportunity to take part in our intensive courses free of charge as part of the INTEGRA programme from the DAAD.
If you would like to take part in our course offer, you must first apply for admission to the INTEGRA programme.
The prerequisite for a free place in a study-preparatory German course is that the International Student Office of the University of Göttingen has confirmed your academic eligibility.
If you receive an acceptance, you can participate in our language course programme.
Application and registration:
In order to determine your academic eligibility, the following documents must be submitted by e-mail to the International Student Office of the University of Göttingen:
- previous degree certificates from your home country in German, English or French
- a refugee certificate showing name, nationality and date of birth
Contact person: Alexander Görres
Contact address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office hours: currently only by email
If you receive an acceptance letter, you can register for the intensive course programme at the IIK. We will then check whether there are free places and notify you by e-mail.
The registration takes place online: Online registration
The IIK's intensive German course programme for qualified refugees at a glance:
- Depending on your language skills, you will attend language courses at levels A1 to C1 (CEFR).
- To prepare for the DSH, you attend special preparatory courses which are geared towards the skill areas that will be tested in the examinations.
- We reserve a place for you in the DSH at the University of Göttingen
With this programme you will receive
- a linguistic preparation for starting a university course of study
- an introduction to German academic culture
- support for self-organised learning
- In order to create an inclusive learning atmosphere, the course concept provides for the participating refugees to have lessons together with persons without a refugee background.
The language courses are supplemented by
- language learning counselling in four different areas
- language tandem programme
- Workshops on various topics in the field of study preparation
In addition, the IIK offers
- Contacts to various courses of study and individual counselling to prepare for university life,
- Referrals to legal as well as psychological counselling centres and support services.
Further important information:
- The DAAD covers the course fees and the costs of textbooks. Travel costs for participants from the districts of Göttingen and Northeim can be requested individually. The fees for the DSH examination (70 €) must be paid by the participants themselves.
- Please talk to your case manager or caseworker about whether you are obliged to take an integration course and when you have to take it. The language courses at the IIK are not integration courses, but German courses that prepare you for university studies. Please ask your case manager or caseworker how you can reconcile our language courses and the integration requirements that are important for your stay in Germany.
Further information for prospective students:Counselling services offered by the University of Göttingen
Study options for refugees